Staying Current

 Twitter

Although it gets a bad rap, Twitter is a great space in which people can exchange ideas. Many people whom I follow are very generous with this professional life-journeys, their teaching successes and failures, and often offer materials (powerpoints, word documents, reading lists) for free. These gems enhance my teaching, challenge my thinking and provide some very appreciated pre-organized lessons for me to implement. Some of my favourite teachers to follow are Pernille Ripp (@pernilleripp), Jess Lifshitz (@Jess5th), Haley Lewis (@misslewis313), Brandi Bartok (@Brandi_Edu), and Ellen Bees (@EllenBees). Although many people from this list teach in the USA, most of their ideas are universal and I have happily implemented suggestions such as the 40 Book Challenge, Book Speed Dating and Global Read Aloud in my classrooms.

I also follow authors. Some use twitter to solely promote their books, but others such as these really interact with their fans and offer supplemental activities or insights: David Robertson (@DaveAlexRoberts), Jarrett Lerner (@Jarrett_Lerner) and Colleen Nelson (@ColleenNelson14). Jarret Lerner for instance, offers a delightful picture that students can colour which prompts them to think about the books that have influenced them in their lives.

                                                https://jarrettlerner.com/activities/

Finally, I make an effort to follow professional organizations, local non-profits and businesses which will keep me up to date with book-related events that the students at my school can benefit from. Some examples of these are: MB Reading Assocaition (@mra_mb), MB School Library  Asociation (@_MSLA_), Winnipeg Public Library (@wpglibrary) and McNally Robinson (@mcnallyrobinson). I was very grateful for a thread published recently by the MB Reading Association in which they listed 50 picture books and highlighted how each one embodied a different, and important message, such as perseverance, diversity, loss, etc…

https://twitter.com/mra_mb/status/1358085244491071488?s=03

 

Teacher Librarianship Diploma Program at UBC

This is my first year in the program, and I have been so pleased with the level of professional discourse, the recommended readings and the useful web resources that have been highlighted to me. I can’t even imagine what this year would have been had it not been like had I not decided to actively educate myself on the topic of teacher librarianship. My intention is to continue these courses over the next 4 years and continue to deepen my understanding, develop my skills and pedagogy of this important role.

 

Reading

Finally, I believe that I must always be reading. It is an impossible assumption that I should have read every book in the school library, but the more that I have engaged with, the better able I am to help students in the serious task of book interviews and book shopping. Not only does reading open my eyes to different life experiences and perspective (something we all could use a bit more of), but it helps me relate with the experience of reading and identify with the students I’m trying to connect with. 

 

In the past I have selected books based on lists such as the Canada Reads, or from articles in the Globe and Mail. I often read books based on the recommendations of my friends, parents and husband. This year, since I started the year in a grade 8 classroom, I have actively sought book recommendations for that age group. 

 

Students are always eager to recommend books to me and slightly surprised when I come back to them ready to discuss them! Thanks to their recommendations, I’ve recently enjoyed the The False King Trilogy by Jennifer A Nielsen, The 100 by Kaas Morgan, and The Strange and Deadly Portraits of Bryony Gray by E. Latimer – no name just a few. I’ve included a picture of me this summer as I was preparing to teach grade 8 at one school and start as a teacher librarian at another. Needless to say, I haven’t quite finished this stack! 



Comments

  1. Well done post that outlines some very effective strategies for ongoing professional developent and personal growth over the last year. Your personal introductions of some excellent people to follow on twitter was great and can help your readers with some great choices for twitter accounts to follow. You also did a good job promoting the T-L diploma and how it has helped you keep engaged and informed during this last year. A brief description of specific courses and what you have been learning would be great. Finally, a great big stack of books for you to have read this last year. One missing component that can really help readers is a bibliography of these resources.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are a woman after my own heart, Suzanne! I enjoy the little graphic of "You are what you Read." I have often found that twitter is a great resource to connect with and learn from other educators. I follow a few of the same people as you and have truly enjoyed the content I have received through them. I like that you included the diploma program and just plain READING as these are helping me with ICT skills and teaching as well. I also love your picture with that lovely stack of books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Suzanne, I really appreciate your explanation of who you follow on Twitter. I haven't really developed my PLN yet and my twitter account follows are thin. I am going to follow some of your account suggestions. I haven't gotten to reading our collection yet and that does bother me. I haven't been able to balance that time. I know students appreciate talking about what they have read with others who have read the same thing and so this is a top priority for me when I've finished the program. #readmore, Nicole

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learner Considerations

Chasing Relevancy