Don't Judge a Book By It's Cover

To say that this has been an abnormal year is quite an understatement. Although I started September as a teacher librarian, I have been redeployed to a grade 1 and grade 2 classroom, I have had 3 new schedules so far and work at two schools (so double all of that!). Since this is the only experience I have had as a teacher librarian, I have decided early on to make the best of this experience and continue to try my best to add value to my school through my reduced role as teacher librarian. I have had to let a lot of my ideas go to “the graveyard of good ideas” due to COVID restrictions, but I am never-the-less proud of the programs I have managed to kick-start at my school and plan to resurrect the ones I couldn't implement this year in future years. 

MYRCA: 

The first program I would like to highlight is the MYRCA reading challenge. Manitoba Young Readers Choice Award invites young readers to participate in choosing a MYRCA winner every year by voting for their favourites. Each school has one vote for both of the award categories. This year, due to COVID, we couldn't rely on the old system of introducing the new MYRCA novels.  Instead of a MYRCA shelf, I visited each classroom that contained students from grades 4-6 and did a brief book talk about each of the nominees. Students were provided with a list so that they could check off the novels they had read and were instructed to request MYRCA novels using our online book database Destiny.


For every book they were able to read, they let me know and I celebrated their achievement by putting a small book with their name under the book they had read on the bulletin board outside of our library. If they had managed to read a minimum of 3 books they could enter a vote in March. Once our school voting has taken place, I will compile all votes and send our school selection into the MYRCA Association. I would have liked to have book club meetings at noon to enrich the students' reading experience and their understanding of these quality books, but alas, that idea will have to be developed in a post COVID world.





 

I Love to Read Month:

Another way I encourage a reading culture in the school is through our annual I Love to Read Month (ILTRM) activities. Last year, the local library was in danger of being closed down and so the school rallied and empowered our students to write letters to the city councilors imploring them to leave the branch open to our neighbourhood. We contacted the media and even walked the entire school down to the library to meet with the librarians and ensure all students had library cards. This was happily, a successful campaign, and although I was not the teacher librarian at the time, I had hoped to recreate a similar school-wide feeling of shared purpose. 

 

ILTRM looks different this year. We are not allowed to mix between cohorts or leave the school property and any books must be shared at a minimum of 2m and then be quarantined for 4 days. With these necessary constraints, I have decided to take  ILTRM digital. I sent out an calendar for students to complete which was produced by the  Manitoba Reading Association. It contains reading-related challenges for each day of February. I am also responsible for our virtual assemblies and have taken the opportunity to celebrate ILTRM at this time. 


With a little help from me, some grade 6 students created a video to share with the school in which they  ask questions to students and staff about their reading habits, preferences and opinions. We have a local guest celebrity reader who will be also be attending our assembly virtually. I will also be hosting a colouring contest (colour a sheet all 19 of the library branch locations in Winnipeg) and we’ll be playing a Kahoot of our favourite literary characters. It is different, but hopefully these activities will still encourage the joy of reading within our K-6 school. 


Book Blind Dates:

One idea that I encountered last year at McNally Robinson (a local Winnipeg bookstore) is the Book Blind Dates idea. This fun activity is meant to add some excitement into your book choosing and counteract our natural inclination to judge a book by its cover. Instead of the normal book display, each book is wrapped in brown paper and a few brief descriptors such as genre, main themes or a quote are written on the paper surface. Here is a brief explanation provided by Tom Lee owner of Troubador Books and Records in Ottawa. 



https://globalnews.ca/video/5693829/ottawa-bookstore-prevents-judging-a-book-by-its-cover


I would love to have create a book bin such as this for students at my school to explore. Another possibility would be to ask the students who read from this mystery bin to do a quick book talk about the book they read. The younger students would need a bit of filming assistance, but in a post COVID world when I have returned to my normal role,  I can see this really taking off. 


Like so many of these ideas, we have adapted to the constraints of COVID, but returning to a space in which students can touch and interact with books will greatly enhance these initiatives and their successes.



Comments

  1. First off, I am so happy that you library venture paid off and you still have your neighbourhood library! Libraries are still so important to communities. Our family loves ours! I like the "I Love to Read Month" and I may try to start that within my school through the current teacher librarians next year when things are a little less 'stressed.' I have taken part in our local bookstore's blind date with a book and it was fun. I never thought of doing that with my class or the school but it sounds fun. Your MYRCA participation has turned on a little light with me about doing something like this in our school/district. We have meetings with our District TLs and we may be able to choose 5 or 6 books for each age group and then maybe have a contest with these books since we don't have (well, that I am aware of) a provincial contest like Manitoba. Well, I hope that you can try out some of those ideas that have moved to the graveyard in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done review of a year that is unlike any other. Your initiatives, simplifications, adjustments and pivots all demonstrate a committment to fostering reading cultures in your school and community. Your best ideas will come back in the future, but for now, you are doing some great stuff during a difficult time. Your post was very practical, with lots of good tips and tricks, examples and guides. A little bit of research, or a citation or two would help rationalize your purpose and goals, but overall, this was a very insightful view into a very strange year. Great work on advocating for your local library as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed your post. I haven't heard of "I Love to Read Month" before. I'll have to save that idea for when I hopefully get a teacher-librarian position. One thing a teacher librarian did a few years ago at my school was take photos of teachers reading and put them up on the bulletin board outside the library. She titled it "Look Who Got Caught Reading!" and the kids enjoyed it. Recently I saw a Pin from a teacher librarian who had printed the covers teachers' favourite books to make a display. I think kids would like to see what their current and past teacher's favourite books.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Suzanne!
    I really enjoyed your post; thank you for sharing your ideas and experiences! I am so glad the campaign was successful and it warms my heart to hear how invested all of the students were! Right away, I bookmarked the "I Love to Read Month" calendar; what a great resource to have and it can even be modified for other months!

    I have heard of the Book Blind Dates before and I love the idea; I hope to be able to use it some day when I have my own library. Another spin on this would be to set up tables with a book at each "table setting" where students can sit and be given a few minutes to read the book and see if they like it. The TL could even act like a server and provide non-damaging foods while they peruse. Of course, this would have to wait until COVID is no longer an issue.

    Thank you again for some great insights!
    Chevon

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the term "shared purpose!" I am so happy the local library was saved! This inspires me to have our students use our local library more! Reading is something that really needs to be encouraged at our school. You have shared some wonderful ideas and suggestions.

    You must be very organized to be able to keep track of all the books students have read for the MYRCA reading challenge. I like how you were able to be creative during covid restrictions to share the books and inspire children to join the challenge.

    I checked out Kahoot as that looks very interesting as well. Do you subscribe or go for the free option? My automatic inclination is to go for "premium" but need to check it out a bit more first. I have signed up for so many sites since beginning our library courses that I can't remember which ones are which.

    The idea of the Book Blind Dates is so fun and intriguing. A good way to enhance curiosity and as you say, not have a book judged by its cover.

    You have so many great ideas here. thank you for sharing your experiences.

    Take care, from Roberta

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Learner Considerations

Staying Current

Chasing Relevancy